I decided to test A1 Vs Suprminer Vs Nevermore Vs Enemy 1.04 eliminating as many variables as possible.
For this test: I used a single 12 GPU 1080Ti rig on Windows split into four mining instances. All four mining instances were balanced to get as close to the same hash rate as possible (I spent 3hrs on this). Each mining instance is running at the same time on the same machine on the same pool .
All four instances have intensity set to 21, GPU target power set to 80%, fans at 75%, no overclocking, static diff set to 55.
The instances/rig are managed by Awesome Miner, which restarts the miners for various reasons, based on rules I set.
The plan is to do four rounds of testing, each round lasting about 10hrs, at the conclusion of each round I'll rotate the miner to a new instance, until each miner has had a chance to run on each instance
Notes and Observations:
- All of the miners performed flawlessly, no crashes or restarts. Overall, the difference between first and last place was about 7%. Round 4 was by far the closest.
- Miners with a dev fee and without a dev fee are grouped very closely together, which begs the question: is the Dev fee a primary contributor to the difference in results? This gives me an idea for another test, run the same miner with donation enabled and with it disabled!
- I've had a few people on Discord tell me that I should be running a miner at this intensity or that intensity, etc. Or that I should have left stock intensity. I understand the argument for doing that, but I wanted consistency, and I had been running stable at -i 21 on this rig, so I decided to stick to that. In retrospect, I would have run the tests at -i 20, as sort of a middle ground. I plan on doing a test where I run the same miner at varying intensities to see what, if any difference there is.
- Round 4 was cut short, it was 2:30am, I needed sleep, and the round had already found 109 blocks
- It's almost impossible to run a perfect test, but I believe I did my best to represent each miner equally. I also believe that these tests are far superior to the anecdotal musings I see on Discord and BTCTalk, day in day out. "I just switched to XYZ miner and my hash rate went up 10%" is a common thing I see, I just shake my head.
- Bottom line: we're very fortunate to have a number of devs continually working to improve miners for X16R and sharing their work with us. We should be very grateful for their hard work and that they allow us to benefit from it.
NOTE: Normalized results aim to equally represent each round by averaging the number of blocks found per round, and then adjusting the amount of coins accordingly
Round 1 - 97 Blocks Found - Duration: 600 minutes (zero restarts or downtime)
[Instance 1] Normalized: 69.64 RVN / Raw: 67.55 RVN | A1 Pool Link
[Instance 2] Normalized: 65.19 RVN / Raw: 63.23 RVN | Suprminer Pool Link
[Instance 3] Normalized: 53.96 RVN / Raw: 52.34 RVN | Nevermore Pool Link
[Instance 4] Normalized: 57.86 RVN / Raw: 56.12 RVN | Enemy 1.04 Pool Link
Round 2 - 103 Blocks Found - Duration: 600 minutes (zero restarts or downtime)
[Instance 1] Normalized: 64.22 RVN / Raw: 66.15 RVN | Enemy 1.04 Pool Link
[Instance 2] Normalized: 65.72 RVN / Raw: 67.69 RVN | A1 Pool Link
[Instance 3] Normalized: 70.96 RVN / Raw: 73.09 RVN | Suprminer Pool Link
[Instance 4] Normalized: 67.97 RVN / Raw: 70.01 RVN | Nevermore Pool Link
Round 3 - 91 Blocks Found - Duration: 600 minutes (zero restarts or downtime)
[Instance 1] Normalized: 69.40 RVN / Raw: 63.15 RVN | Nevermore Pool Link
[Instance 2] Normalized: 64.92 RVN / Raw: 59.08 RVN | Enemy 1.04 Pool Link
[Instance 3] Normalized: 70.66 RVN / Raw: 64.30 RVN | A1 Pool Link
[Instance 4] Normalized: 71.45 RVN / Raw: 65.02 RVN | Suprminer Pool Link
Round 4 - 109 Blocks Found - Duration: 588 minutes (zero restarts or downtime)
[Instance 1] Normalized: 64.31 RVN / 70.10 RVN | Suprminer Pool Link
[Instance 2] Normalized: 64.15 RVN / 69.92 RVN | Nevermore Pool Link
[Instance 3] Normalized: 65.47 RVN / 71.36 RVN | Enemy 1.04 Pool Link
[Instance 4] Normalized: 65.74 RVN / 71.66 RVN | A1 Pool Link
Normalized Average Results
#1 - 67.98 RVN - Suprminer
#2 - 67.94 RVN - A1
#3 - 63.87 RVN - Nevermore
#4 - 63.12 RVN - Enemy
Raw Average Results
#1 - 67.86 RVN - Suprminer
#2 - 67.80 RVN - A1
#3 - 63.86 RVN - Nevermore
#4 - 63.18 RVN - Enemy